Sound House Membership Policy
Optional Participation Begins August 1, 2022
Required Participation Begins September 1, 2022
What Does A Membership Plan Cover?
Each membership covers the cost of 2-5 pre-scheduled sessions, depending on the plan and month. Special rates will be offered during the holiday months (November and December).
All memberships also include:
- Access to a personalized Session Log and Resources Folder, updated weekly.
- Access to at-home support via email or text.
- Access to any seasonal extracurricular events.
- The ability to opt for online Zoom sessions rather than in-person sessions, even on short notice.
- The ability to reschedule sessions within the boundaries of the teacher’s availability.
- A 20% discount on all Sound House merchandise (shirts and stickers).
|Frequency||Duration||4-Week Value||5-Week Value||Code|
To see exactly what your membership will cost each month (August-December 2022), visit the Monthly Membership Price Charts. Use the codes listed above to find your plan in each monthly chart.
When Are Payments Due?
Members reserve their sessions via a monthly membership payment due before or during the first session of the month. Members who do not promptly pay for their monthly membership will be removed from the schedule until the full payment is made. Sound House will track membership payments and activity in each member’s Session Log.
What Happens If I Need To Miss A Session?
If a member must miss a session for contagious illness or an emergency, Sound House encourages members to reschedule a make-up session within the week. If a member cannot reschedule, Sound House may offer credits toward next month’s membership. If a member misses a session for other reasons and cannot reschedule, credits will not be issued. This includes non-rescheduled absences for vacations, other commitments, and personal days. Rescheduling will be limited and based upon the teacher’s availability.
Why The Membership-Based Model?
The local rate for private music lessons has been the same (or very close to the same) since 2015; $35 for a half hour session and $70 for an hour session. In those same seven years, inflation has increased cumulative prices 25%. Despite this, Sound House has chosen to continue offering the accessible rates of $35 per half hour session and $65 per hour session, trusting that students will return the love with consistency, commitment, and engagement.
In the business of private educational services, occasional absences due to sickness and emergencies are expected. During the spring and summer of 2022, absences have been frequent and unpredictable, sometimes leaving Sound House booked up and then suddenly empty within the course of a few hours of late-notice texts and emails. It has been challenging to book new students while navigating the inconsistency of existing schedules.
After researching alternatives and consulting colleagues, Sound House is opting for a membership/tuition based model – like the ones used by many other music education businesses – to 1) encourage commitment and communication from members and 2) compensate the teacher appropriately for her reserved time and expertise.
For now, the cost per session is not increasing. You’ll be paying the same rate, but you’ll be asked to do so in advance and to follow through with your commitment by attending reserved sessions. Missing a reserved session will cost the same as attending. For many, this shift will just make our preexisting structure of exchange more clear and consistent.
To allow time for any families operating on a tight budget to prepare for a single monthly payment rather than weekly payments, the membership-based model will be encouraged rather than required in August 2022. That gives everyone about six weeks to prepare for our studio-wide commitment to this plan in September 2022.
Thank you all so much for continuing your studies here at Sound House, where we prioritize a welcoming and personalized learning experience for each member of our little community.
Sound House Safety Policies
The Safe Space Commitment
- We welcome and protect people of color, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ+ community, disabled and able-bodied people, folks of all religious or non-religious backgrounds, and members of all political parties; everyone is welcomed and protected in this safe space.
- Bigoted or predatory comments and/or actions are not permitted in the Sound House community, whether at the studio or at off-site events. We expect kindness and compassion between all members of our Sound House community.
- To protect our safe space, Sound House commits to dismiss instructors, students, and student guardians who treat any person – regardless of their identities and lifestyles – with disrespect or cruelty. Dismissal has never happened at Sound House, and we hope to keep it that way; thanks for helping us keep this a safe space for all.
Health Safety Precautions
- Sound House commits to follow all rules and regulations suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and outlined by the federal, state, and local governing offices.
- Studio surfaces will be cleaned regularly with disinfectant and studio air will be cleaned regularly via fresh air circulation.
- If students are not feeling well, we ask them to stay at home until they have tested negative for COVID and are no longer displaying any symptoms.
- In the case of an infection, the owner will notify all students, close the studio until it has been thoroughly disinfected, and then reopen if there are no additional infections.
Inclement Weather Options
In the event of dangerous road conditions, the owner and/or students can opt for online lessons or reschedule lessons on a case-by-case basis. Sound House is sometimes open even when the school system shuts down, so please watch your inbox and text messages for updates from the owner.