A mountain woman from Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, Maddi Mae now lives quietly in the hills. She has navigated a challenging life with a guitar in her hands and songs in her mouth.
A music educator of 10+ years, Maddi is dedicated to helping others self-empower through the study and appreciation of music. A guitarist and songwriter from age five, she’s got a couple decades of hard-won experience to share with her students. Read her full teaching resumé below.
As a musician, Maddi has played over 500 shows in the past six or so years – solo and as a member of psychedelic and folk rock bands. Her latest release, a six-song record called Quiet Corners has garnered 88k streams on Spotify in just three months. Her original music is a hearty blend of old and new: a sprinkling of folky Americana and off-beat psychedelia, hints of folk and traditional ballads, heaps of classic country and indie pop.
Owner and music instructor at Sound House, 2021-present
- After 10 years of teaching and directing arts programs as an independent contractor for private schools and studios, opened my own brick-and-mortar studio in Remington, VA.
- Offer a space that is comfortable, clean, functional, and safe for students of all ages and identities. Serving people from Culpeper and Fauquier Counties in-person, and serving people from anywhere in the world via virtual sessions.
- Customize flexible curriculum for each individual or group. Rigorously track all lessons and sessions via shared Google documents and folders.
- Teach guitar, bass guitar, ukulele, non-traditional voice, songwriting, performance, and music theory.
- Fluently read and write both notation and tablature. Arrange and compose sheet music as needed.
- Organize extracurricular educational opportunities. Some of the experiences offered:
- Making an independent magazine (see The Sound House ‘Zine, Issue No. 1)
- Photographing a live concert
- Getting a behind-the-scenes look at local multi-bill venue shows from the perspectives of the performers and the sound engineer
- Peer networking gatherings
- Band organization and practices
- Recitals, showcases, and open mics
- Arranging and tracking demos of original music
MUSIC INSTRUCTOR FOR RIVER FARM COOPERATIVE SCHOOL, 2021-present
- Upon request from the Head of School, develop custom curriculum that infuses nature as a muse and as an instrument.
- Design classes around producting albums of songs by and for the students. Our Fall 2021 album is called “Let’s Go Outside.” You can check it out by clicking here. Our Spring 2022 album is called “Chirpy Frog Nights.” You can check it out by clicking here.
- Guide multi-week collaborative songwriting projects that include lyrics and singing from a dozen individual students.
- Conduct field recordings and studio-style recordings outdoors and in the classroom.
independent music instructor offering In-home lessons, 2018-2020
- Drove home-to-home teaching private music lessons to students of all ages in Culpeper, Fauquier, and Clarke Counties.
Music Instructor for Belle Meade Montessori School, 2016-2018 and 2020-2021
- Developed Montessori-style curriculum centered upon the realities of building a music career.
- Directed a student pop/rock band.
- Prepared three (or more) musical programs per year.
- Directed the 2021 spring musical production of Mary Poppins. Helped produce music for previous spring theatrical productions: Footloose, 2017. Skitstory of the World, 2018.
MUSIC INSTRUCTOR FOR HEARTHSTONE SCHOOL, 2017-2018
- Developed a rigorous middle school music curriculum comprised of the following: music theory and notation, composition, independent instrumental study, ear-training and listening, repertoire expansion and music appreciation, and performance.
- Composed and performed original music for Hearthstone’s original play A Flood of Kindness, adapted from the book of the same title and written in collaboration with the author De’Ante Webster and illustrator Laurie Marshall.
Music Instructor At Drum & Strum Music Center, 2015-2018
Maddi instructed guitar, voice, songwriting, and performance at Drum & Strum Music Center.
- Welcomed and instructed students of all ages – children and adults.
- Specialized in the instruction and mentorship of singer-songwriters.
- Organized extra-curricular opportunities such as annual student recitals, the Girls Rock Slumber Party, the Summer Library Tour, and the Drum & Strum School of Music Showcase.
FINE ARTS INSTRUCTOR FOR ST. LUKE’S SCHOOL, 2011-2014
As Fine Arts Instructor of St. Luke’s School, Maddison was responsible for all of the music, drama, and art classes for students preschool through tenth grade.
- Organized a mobile art program for the preschool division known as Art Cart.
- Organized fall, winter, and spring program performances.
- Directed the annual theatrical productions. Assistant Director of Seussical, 2012. Director of Into the Woods, 2013. Director of Rinse the Blood Off My Toga, 2014.
- Directed handbell choirs for the middle and high school students.
- Developed and implemented a guitar program for elementary students.
- Managed the library during the 2013-2014 school year, including the fall and spring Scholastic Book Fairs.