A mountain woman from Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, Maddi Mae now lives quietly in the hills. She has navigated a challenging life with a guitar in her hands and songs in her mouth.
A music educator of 10+ years, Maddi is dedicated to helping others self-empower through the study and appreciation of music. A guitarist and songwriter from age five, she’s got a couple decades of hard-won experience to share with her students. Read her full teaching resumé below.
As a musician, Maddi has played over 500 shows in the past six or so years – solo and as a member of psychedelic and folk rock bands. Her latest release, a six-song record called Quiet Corners has garnered 75k streams on Spotify in just three months. Her original music is a hearty blend of old and new: a sprinkling of folky Americana and off-beat psychedelia, hints of folk and traditional ballads, heaps of classic country and indie pop.
Maddi Mae has been teaching private in-home lessons since leaving Drum & Strum in October of 2018.
MUSIC INSTRUCTOR FOR RIVER FARM COOPERATIVE SCHOOL, 2021
- Upon request from the Head of School, developed custom curriculum that infused nature as a muse and as an instrument.
- Designed classes around the production of a short album of songs by and for the students called “Let’s Go Outside.” You can check it out by clicking here.
- Guided a multi-week collaborative songwriting project that included lyrics and singing from a dozen individual students.
- Conducted field recordings and studio-style recordings outdoors and in the classroom.
Music Instructor for Belle Meade Montessori School, 2016-2018 and 2020-2021
- Developed Montessori-style curriculum centered upon the realities of building a music career.
- Directed a student pop/rock band.
- Prepared three (or more) musical programs per year.
- Directed the 2021 spring musical production of Mary Poppins. Helped produce music for previous spring theatrical productions: Footloose, 2017. Skitstory of the World, 2018.
MUSIC INSTRUCTOR FOR HEARTHSTONE SCHOOL, 2017-2018
- Developed a rigorous middle school music curriculum comprised of the following: music theory and notation, composition, independent instrumental study, ear-training and listening, repertoire expansion and music appreciation, and performance.
- Composed and performed original music for Hearthstone’s original play A Flood of Kindness, adapted from the book of the same title and written in collaboration with the author De’Ante Webster and illustrator Laurie Marshall.
Music Instructor At Drum & Strum Music Center, 2015-2018
Maddi instructed guitar, voice, songwriting, and performance at Drum & Strum Music Center.
- Welcomed and instructed students of all ages – children and adults.
- Specialized in the instruction and mentorship of singer-songwriters.
- Organized extra-curricular opportunities such as annual student recitals, the Girls Rock Slumber Party, the Summer Library Tour, and the Drum & Strum School of Music Showcase.
FINE ARTS INSTRUCTOR FOR ST. LUKE’S SCHOOL, 2011-2014
As Fine Arts Instructor of St. Luke’s School, Maddison was responsible for all of the music, drama, and art classes for students preschool through tenth grade.
- Organized a mobile art program for the preschool division known as Art Cart.
- Organized fall, winter, and spring program performances.
- Directed the annual theatrical productions. Assistant Director of Seussical, 2012. Director of Into the Woods, 2013. Director of Rinse the Blood Off My Toga, 2014.
- Directed handbell choirs for the middle and high school students.
- Developed and implemented a guitar program for elementary students.
- Managed the library during the 2013-2014 school year, including the fall and spring Scholastic Book Fairs.