A mountain woman from Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, Maddi Mae now lives quietly in the hills. She has navigated a challenging life with a guitar in her hands and songs in her mouth.
A music educator of 10 years, Maddi is dedicated to helping others self-empower through the study and appreciation of music. A guitarist and songwriter from age five, she’s got a couple decades of hard-won experience to share with her students. Read her full teaching resumé below.
As a musician, Maddi has played over 400 shows in the past five years – solo and as a member of psychedelic and folk rock bands. Her latest release, a six-song record called Quiet Corners has garnered 75k streams on Spotify in just three months. Her original music is a hearty blend of old and new. A sprinkling of folky Americana and off-beat psychedelia. Hints of folk and traditional ballads. Heaps of classic country and indie pop.
Maddi Mae has been teaching private in-home lessons since leaving Drum & Strum in October of 2018.
Music Instructor for Belle Meade Montessori School, 2016-2018 and 2020-Present
- Developed (and continues to develop) curriculum centered upon the realities of building a music career.
- Directs a student pop/rock band.
- Prepares three (or more) musical programs per year.
- Is directing the 2021 spring musical production of Mary Poppins. Helped produce music for previous spring theatrical productions: Footloose, 2017. Skitstory of the World, 2018.
Music Instructor At Drum & Strum Music Center, 2015-2018
Maddi instructed guitar, voice, songwriting, and performance at Drum & Strum Music Center.
- Welcomed and instructed students of all ages – children and adults.
- Specialized in the instruction and mentorship of singer-songwriters.
- Organized extra-curricular opportunities such as annual student recitals, the Girls Rock Slumber Party, the Summer Library Tour, and the Drum & Strum School of Music Showcase.
MUSIC INSTRUCTOR FOR HEARTHSTONE SCHOOL, 2017-2018
- Developed a rigorous middle school music curriculum comprised of the following: music theory and notation, composition, independent instrumental study, ear-training and listening, repertoire expansion and music appreciation, and performance.
- Composed and performed original music for Hearthstone’s original play A Flood of Kindness, adapted from the book of the same title and written in collaboration with the author De’Ante Webster and illustrator Laurie Marshall.
FINE ARTS INSTRUCTOR FOR ST. LUKE’S SCHOOL, 2011-2014
As Fine Arts Instructor of St. Luke’s School, Maddison was responsible for all of the music, drama, and art classes for students preschool through tenth grade.
- Organized a mobile art program for the preschool division known as Art Cart.
- Organized fall, winter, and spring program performances.
- Directed the annual theatrical productions. Assistant Director of Seussical, 2012. Director of Into the Woods, 2013. Director of Rinse the Blood Off My Toga, 2014.
- Directed handbell choirs for the middle and high school students.
- Developed and implemented a guitar program for elementary students.
- Managed the library during the 2013-2014 school year, including the fall and spring Scholastic Book Fairs.